Tuesday, January 21, 2014

These aren't your grandmother's rubber pants!

first off, thanks for good friend for the title of this one :)

So once people move past the crap and the costs…they thinks pins and plastic pants. Not quite…
Another big show stopper for people interested in cloth is the sheer magnitude of what's out there today. There are SO many options. Here's a quick list…

The Easiest/Most like Disposables: All-in-Ones (AIO)
These bad boys are a one stop show. They go on, the go off, they go in the wash, they go back on. Imagine a disposable made of not-paper. NO different minus the trash part.

My Favorite: Ragababe Easy All-In-One (I'll explain why later)
Second Favorite: Bummis Tots Bots Easy Fits
Easy to Buy Brands: Tots Bots and Bumgenius (Elemental and Freetime)




Maybe the Most Popular Type: Pockets
These diapers are two parts; one part cover with a 'pocket' and one part insert, which goes into said pocket.
Lots of people like these because they wash and dry easy and are affordable. You can't reuse any part of this system but they are popular nonetheless.
The downside…you have to stuff diapers. Lots of people find this annoying. I like diaper laundry but I still don't like pockets.

Popular Brand: Bumgenius 4.0



My Favorite Choice: All-In-Two's (AI2)
These are also a two part system and unlike pockets, the cover is reusable! There are different brands out there but the same concept applies; an absorbent insert lies inside the covers, gets dirty, you change it out and put a clean one in next time.
I like these so I can match outfits throughout the day and not have to have 10 of the same print/color!

Con: These can confuse people. I don't send these to daycare and my husband doesn't quite get the idea to reuse covers, but he does use and vouch for the awesomeness of cloth, so we can only ask for so much!

Favorite Brand: Hands down, Ragababe 2-Steps.
Easiest to Buy, More Affordable Option: Flip by Bumgenius (their organic inserts for sure)



Fitted's & Covers
I still haven't gotten around to loving these, although they are quite popular! The concept is a two a part system, a fitted diaper is a soft diaper that is all around absorbent. Then you put the waterproof cover OVER the fitted. The thing I don't get is that the fitted diapers are SUPER cute and then you cover it…so that's where I get lost.
This is a pricey option. Fitteds are the cost of a diaper and then you need covers. You can reuse the covers though so that's a plus!




The Most Difficult/Kinda What You Had in Mind: Prefolds & Covers
This is along the lines of what you were thinking. Prefolds are a sqaure-ish fabric you can wrap about baby's rear and pin to hold it in place. Modern technology has created options to hold these into place without the danger of stabbing your baby with a sharp object (Snappies are the most popular).


This is also the most cost efficient. Prefolds can be bought but the dozen for great prices. Covers are re-usable between changes so you don't need one for every diaper change.

These also have the biggest learning curve. Wrapping a square-ish fabric around your baby in a way that will contain the contents of said baby can be WAY harder than you thought. By the time I found my favorite diaper…I had finally learned how to do this.

I know there are some other kinds out there, but these are the main things you'll run into and have questions about!

My stash!? AIO's and AI2's. I send AIO's to daycare so it's nice and easy. I use 2-steps at home so I can keep covers in rotation all day to match outfits and change it up as I wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment